Police released new video overnight of Friday afternoon’s frightening subway shove that saw another New Yorker injured within the city’s transit system in yet another seemingly random attack.
The images put out by the NYPD appear to show the perp responsible for sending a man onto the tracks at the Brooklyn station at Myrtle and Wyckoff avenues servicing L and M lines. Cops said the stranger “charged” and shoved the 32-year-old victim to the trackbed. It happened shortly before 3 pm
It wasn’t clear if any words were exchanged prior to the shove, but police called the latest transit unprovoked. The victim was treated at the scene and was not hit by a train. Physically, the person was expected to be OK.
Police say the suspect was described as being about 6 feet tall and was last seen wearing a yellow hooded sweatshirt and black vest as he ran east on Myrtle Avenue.
Friday’s shove comes just a day after two other subway attacks — one involving a kitchen knife and another involving a samurai sword — amid an uptick in violence that has seen five people killed in the transit system in the last few weeks.
Earlier this week, a 48-year-old Queens man died after falling to the tracks in Jackson Heights amid an argument over a dropped cellphone with another straphanger, authorities have said. A 50-year-old man has been arrested in that case.
NBC New York’s Melissa Colorado reports.
That death marked the ninth in the subway system in 2022 and the fifth in two weeks.
Mayor Eric Adams has sought to assure New Yorkers the system, which buckled under the pandemic, along with much else in the five boroughs, is safe. He is expected to address transit crime among a number of other factors at a weekend “Crime Summit” at Gracie Mansion. Roughly 40 people are expected to attend.